Employee appraisal is one of the key human resource management processes in an organization. For the supervisor, employer or HR department, it is a kind of analysis and diagnosis of resources, and for the employee it is a valuable feedback, the purpose of which is to provide feedback on the work performed and progress in development. The foundation of employee evaluation are the evaluation criteria and levels expected in the context of the position, e.g. the ability to provide feedback will be assessed differently in the position of an installer and in a different way in the position of a manager.
In practice, we distinguish two scales: behavioral and point scales. The behavioral scale defines specific behaviors within individual criteria, e.g. teamwork competences will be assessed on the basis of the description of specific behaviors: the employee is unable to cooperate in a group: does not provide feedback to team members, does not ask questions, does not show interest in cooperation, is a source of conflicts; the employee cooperates with team members: gives feedback, asks questions, identifies with the team, strives to achieve the goal, but is sometimes a source of conflicts; the employee cooperates with team members: gives complete feedback, asks questions, takes responsibility for his own and the team’s work. The point scale is ideal for the production area and the so-called hard skills, where the point indicates the degree of mastery of a given activity, e.g. 1- employee during training; 2- a trained worker working under supervision; 3- independent worker; 4- expert.
A key element of the employee appraisal process is a development interview, which is feedback for the employee. In most cases, the appraisal interview is worrying, both among superiors and employees, so it is worth preparing for it properly.
How can the SkillBox Competence Matrix optimize the employee appraisal process and help prepare for a development interview?
1. History of issued assessments – access to the history of assessments allows you to verify at what time the employee increases his competences in the context of specific skills.
2. Annotations for grades – the possibility of introducing comments to the grades allows to justify the grades issued and to record the facts that will affect the evaluation process in the future.
3. Development planning – The matrix allows you to plan the growth of competences by specifying the date of implementation and the degree (eg from grade 2 to grade 3). It is extremely helpful when setting goals or implementing employee career paths.
4. E-mail notifications – the system informs the supervisor about the need to update the assessment (eg the assessment has a specific validity date) or about the need to approve the planned assessment.
5. Grading scales – thanks to the distinction between scales – point scales and descriptive (behavioral) scales, the system allows for the creation of several matrices. This solution allows for a detailed assessment of employees’ soft skills.
6. Reports – the reports include a list of subordinate employees, where you can find all the assessments collected in the context of the entire subordinate team or a specific employee, along with the dates of issue, people issuing assessments and comments. This is the perfect cheat sheet to conduct an evaluation interview.
Performing assessments with the SkillBox Competency Matrix allows you to save time and provide the supervisor with all the necessary information to conduct a development interview. As a result, superiors or employees of HR departments are more willing and more likely to start such interviews. The added value of more frequent evaluations and evaluation interviews is building trust between the employee and the supervisor and building correct communication, which influences the development of the organization as a whole by changing the organizational culture.
Take advantage of the 21-day DEMO version and check how SkillBox supports employee management!
You can also use the Skills Matrix template, thanks to which you will systematize the competences of your employees!